Freitag, 11. September 2015

09-11-15: Charity...





Charity.


I must admit I have a bit of a 

problem with this word. 



Not because I don't feel "charitable"
but because giving charity - 
and thus, compassion - 
we often feel in the situation of
feeling pity for the person we're giving charity to. 

And pity, 
in my eyes, 
is a thing to be taken carefully, 
because it can paralyze
- and really, disable - 
the people we want to help.

By giving them pity, 
we are kind of belittling them, 
kind of saying
"I don't believe you could make it on your own". 

This is what I don't like about "charity". 



See, 

for some time now, 
I'm in a romantic relationship with a man who is almost entirely blind. 

It does get tough at times to be helpful without being patronizing. 



But I've found that it's all about 
LOVE, 
and a relationship based on 

support, empathy, and truth

Support ... offering a helping hand. We'll make this together. Count on me.
Empathy ... I refuse to suffer with you, but I feel for you and understand you. 
Truth ... Yes, things are as they are. We'll find practical solutions. 



And I think "charity" has to keep firm hold on these principles as well...






Americans remember 9/11 today. 

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost someone there. 
May they rest in peace. 









Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen